Going to try veganuary? We're going for it this year.
Here are some great recipes I made/found recently, all vegan. Maybe they'll help you to enjoy January extra-special:
- Pad thai - do it Vegan Black Metal Chef style! (We used peanut butter instead of peanuts which makes it easier to make the sauce saucy.)
- Chilli sin carne with pulled jackfruit
- Fake fish and chips - battered aubergine. Alex Shaw liked this one so much he messaged from Scotland to say so :)
- Gado gado - an Indonesian dish that's popular in the Netherlands, and with good reason! Fried tofu, fresh salad veg, potatoes, peanut sauce and crispy onions. - of course you'd be leaving the traditional boiled egg out of the recipe, but that's fine. We made our own echt peanut sauce but you can buy it.
- Beetroot nisk soup - a simple warming Kurdish soup
- Vietnamese banana and coconut cake - ah, I have this in a little recipe book here (Vietnamese Fusion by Chat Mingkwan) and I need to type it up. It's basically white bread, sliced bananas and sugar, layered up, soaked in coconut milk (plus a touch of vanilla, brandy, cinnamon for flavouring) and then baked. So, it becomes a kind of bread pudding.
We'll also be buying some cheez from Black Arts Vegan and making some vegan pizzas etc. Personally, I'd say be careful with vegan cheese, since some of the main brands in the shops might put you off for life...
Next I want to work out how to cook "beet wellington" and how to make vegan mayo. Tips welcome!